Monday, February 06, 2006

Software Raid 5

I'm very lazy on reading the Software RAID-Howto.

That's the reason i kept hitting on the wall while trying to configure the software raid5 under various distro.

I haven't been using RH since it's 7.2 cuz i'm tired of the dependencies problem, thus i switch to Slackware and Debian.

But this time i'm owing to a friend, promised him i'll set up software raid 5 for him but has been dragging the work which i've promised.

He gave me 3 identical - IDE harddrive to 'play' with and a decent cpu unit which he left in my room as his samba server.

i didn't know raid 5 can't boot by default (/boot has to be in ext2/3) instead of raid based.

Once this is settled (/boot on ext3) then the rest on software raid, i could set up fine even with LVM installed in RHES 4.

I'll go in detail in the future blog but at least this has clear up my doubts earlier that keeps giving my trouble.

I shall use Deb/Slack on software raid later, it'll be full cli based... gotto learn the hardway.. :)

regards,
Grant

No comments: