Thursday, September 15, 2005

Excel Reporting - Recall back what Solver is all about

It's the 4th years after my uni time, almost forgotten all i've learn during one of the business subject - Excel - DSS (Decision Support System).

Why and what makes me recall DSS using Excel again? It's the data analysis work that i'm doing right now.

I'm doing analysis for some telco report for my company, given bunch of data in different databases but to put everything together making it a meaningful bunch of figures that also presentable.

I've spend a lot of time doing reading about my long lost Excel when i was taught to use it to design DSS.

Unfortunately i've lost track of my lab tutorial and can hardly remember what i've learnt... Hey... i've got the biggest 'library' i've ever imagine - INTERNET!!!

My boss is kind enough to allow me to research on doing analysis using Excel that generates the report needed.

The first thing that came into my mind was - Solver.

What is Solver? While i was doing DSS, it's a logical process that automate a calculation for 3 main fields, it gives you a "what-if" scenario...

- Change/Constant value
- Restricted value
- End/target result

It's a process of changing the values in cells to see how those changes affect the outcome of formulas on the worksheet.

Example, varying the interest rate that is used in an amortization table to determine the amount of the payments. Solver allows you to find an optimal value for a formula.

You got it?

regards,
Skywalker

1 comment:

Thiam Teck (1983 - ?) said...

Really not familiar with Excel, do not have plan to master it as well.

Perhaps this is one of the programmer weakness - with a golden hammer, everything is nail...

and (any) programming language is our golden hammer....